Chicken Schnitzel


Click here for more Photos!
One of my favorite ways to make chicken stretch is to make Chicken Schnitzel. As my mother wants me to teach her how I make mine tonight, I figured I would post my Recipe, so here it is! (The Recipe is for 6-8 servings)

What you need for the Meal:
3-4 Chicken Breasts, Cleaned and cut butterfly style, and then cut to make two thing breasts each. (Can also use Chicken Thighs.)
2 Eggs (mix the eggs together, as if you were making scrambled eggs, can thin with either milk or water. I prefer water)
1/2 cup of flour
1-2 cups of bread crumbs
2-4 teaspoons of olive oil (regular oil can be used as well.)

Preparing the Chicken:
Lay the chicken on a cutting board and cover losely with plastic wrap (I usually just lay it over the chicken). Take a meat pounder and pound out the chicken as thin as you can. (1/8 to 1/4th of an inch thick). I usually let the chicken rest a few minutes while I prepare the eggs, flour, and bread crumbs into different bowls used for the breading process.

The Breading Process: (Easiest to do with your fingers, though it can be a bit messy.) First I coat the chicken with the flour, making sure to get rub it into all the little tiny cracks that might have appeared in the slicing & pounding stages, I do this with all the breast, then I dip it in the eggs, making sure it's fully coated. Then I take the chicken breast and do the same with the bread crumbs, making sure to push in as much extra bread crumbs as I can to get a really full coating.

Cooking! I heat my frying pan up before putting anything in it, I pour the oil in and then put the chicken in right away. Fry on each side for about 4-5 minutes depending on how thin you manage to pound down the chicken. Turning only once. The less you turn, the better your breading sticks.

After both sides are cooked, remove from the pan, and set on paper towel to drain any excess oil and grease off. Serve with Apple Sauce or a Chicken Gravy.

0 comments: